Last night around 10 pm my time, Nadime called and informed me that Florence's birthmother had arrived in town and would be ready to come with us to the consular today. This morning I called Nadime to ask her if she had done the new relinquishment papers for with the real mothers. She said no. I asked if she could hurry and do them because I knew for sure that the consular would ask for them. She told me that she could not do them because they would take several days to get done and I would not be able to get home for Christmas. I did know what to do. We decided to just wait and see what the consular said. When we got there, sure enough the consular asked for the new relinquishment documents. Inside I was seething. I had called Cheryl a week before I left and asked if she would call Nadime and make sure those were finished. I guess that call never took place because Nadime said she didn't know anything about it. I never know where the disconnect occurs in this place. The consular was not going to let me get the visas until I had the correct paperwork. I explained to her that I completely understood her position and I had asked the same question earlier, but that the problem was that if we were to correct that paperwork, it would leave other discrepancies that would cause problems at customs. Technically, we would need a new adoption decree and new birth certificates which would mean new passports and that would mean another 6 months wait. She finally relented ( which I know she would not have done if I had not been in Liberia) and agreed to give the visas on the condition that the agency redo all of the paperwork after I leave and that I readopt in the U.S. with the correct paperwork. I also had to pay an extra $670 to immigration since the kids are not siblings. That stunk, but at that point I was just about willing to do anything. I really understood where the consular was really in a hard position. I was glad she agreed to give me the visas anyway, but I really hope that my agency will be honorable and fix the problems immediately and send her corrected copies.
We took the kids with us from the AFAA house and they are staying with us. That is good and bad. These children have not experienced life as we know it. Now that they have seen a toilet that flushes, they suddenly have to pee all of the time. They are also very into running water and wash their hands several times in, well, ten minutes. I took them to a restaurant for the first time in their lives and it was quite a trip. Florence used about thirty napkins or "tissues" to wipe her face and then when she was all done, she even used her napkin to wipe behind her neck and her armpits. I couldn't stop laughing. Speaking of laughing, Diamond is a major giggler. His laugh is contagious and giggles until he is doubled over or coughing. He laughs at everything. When I gave the kids their new clothing I brought them, they tried on every outfit and danced--African style--in front of the full length mirror. I also gave Diamond Oakley's gameboy to play Mario Brothers. He can't quite figure out the game, but he puts it up to his ear and dances to the music. He calls it his "piano".
The kids are very cute. Diamond is a doll. Florence is cute, but definitely much higher maintenance. She is a drama queen in everything she does. She has some of the craziest facial expressions I have ever seen. When she can't have her way, she flops, she pouts, she tries to hit me. Wow, I have got my work cut out for me!
Tomorrow we are taking the kids to the beach and getting our visas. I am so homesick for my other five kids. I am for the most part enjoying my time here. I get rather frustrated with some of the agency workers here, they can be very difficult and rude at times. I took the kids to a restauarant around the corner. I walked there by myself with the kids and back in the dark. I can not believe how safe I feel here. It is definitely not like that in Israel or Mexico. I don't go in any back alleys or anything, but people are just friendly and look out for me.
Tomorrow I will highlight some of the Liberianisms that really can't be matched by anything in America. Tonight, I am shot. The kids are like bouncy balls and I am spending all my time saying, "don't touch that", "you'll break that" "don't lick the computer screen", "only flush once" to name a few. Finally, they sleep, now I shower. I had to wait, otherwise they would have tried to climb in with me.
3 comments:
Jess, I am so happy you are with your kids. I love hearing the stories about them. It has been a long time coming...congratulations!!
Jessica,
Akins broke both the shower and the toilet with all the fascination with it. Good luck!
Valerie
Bringing back soooo many memories! Hang in there! I would drug them on the airplane if you can.
Post a Comment