The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Americans for African Adoptions-AFAA

There are only about 5 or 6 adoption agencies that work out of Liberia. When I did a search on line the first agency I came across was Americans for African Adotpions (AFAA) (http://www.africanadoptions.org/) . I was impressed with their prices and the story of the founder of AFAA, Cheryl Carter-Shotts. (Links posted below:
www.africanadoptions.org/media/indystar/afaacheryl23.html
www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/tows_1999/tows_past_19990330.jhtml ) But I really didn't leave it at that. I requested information from almost all of the agencies. I asked around on the web groups I was part of. The response, sadly, was overwhelmingly against AFAA. It seemed that 90% of people warned me against them. I didn't know what to do, so like always, I prayed. My answer came through a scripture in the Pearl of Great Price (LDS scripture) that I happened upon one night. Moses 7:28, 32, 33

28 And it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the a residue of the people, and he wept; and Enoch bore record of it, saying: How is it that the heavens weep, and shed forth their tears as the rain upon the mountains?
32 The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands. . .
33 And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father;
I had all of the various adoption paperwork scattered across my bed, and when I looked up from the scriptures, my eyes fell upon this logo:

The AFAA logo just sums up so much. I felt this deep love for the people of Africa and knew how much Heavenly Father loves all of his children in every continent. He loves his children so much that he weeps with them when they sorrow. The people of Africa are suffering greatly, and I know that God hates to see it. Yet, he leaves it to us, who have been blessed beyond compare, to reach our hands out to those in need. Their sorrow is our sorrow. We are all tied in this together. Where much is given, much is required.

I felt that my answer was to use AFAA. I just felt that no matter what problems arose with this particular agency (and that is a story for another day), that it was where my child(ren) were.

Later on down the road, I came to find out that the other agencies would not adopt to LDS families. Several LDS families were in the middle of adoptions when they were suddenly turned away because of their religion. I was lucky to find out before I got to that point. One lady was even told over the phone by one of the Christian adoption agencies that it would be better for a child to die in an orphanage than to be adopted by a Mormon. Most Liberian based agencies require you to sign a statement that says you believe that "The bible is the only word of God and there are no mistakes in it, and that Jesus is the savior of the world." While, we as Latter-day Saints believe completely in Jesus as the Savior, we are not considered Christians by many evangelical sects, based mainly on a couple doctrinal points. But that aside, the need is so great in Africa of children that need loving homes with good food and medical care, that I don't think limiting it to only evangelical Christians is fair. In my life I have known Jews, Muslims, and Hindus that were excellent parents, to rule them as adoptive parents to starving, desparately needy children is ludicrous. So, on that note, I am thankful that I have been able to use AFAA--they do not discriminate in any way and have no religious agenda, and see first and foremost the needs of the children.

No comments:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required