The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Catch a Wave or a Wake

When we come home to Utah for vacation we are all about playing and playing hard. Mike and Lindsay are in from Sweden and have the same sentiments about vacation. Mike and Brian decided to go in on a boat rental--but not just any boat rental--a wake surfing boat rental. Mike called it the Ferrari of boats. I don't know enough about boats to say anything more than it was AWESOME. I admit, I wasn't really dying to go out behind the boat. I am not fond of skiing and I like wakeboarding okay, but when I tried wake surfing I fell in love. I think everyone else did as well (at least the ones that stuck it out long enough to get up :).

Brian, the boys and Gwynyth went out early in the morning and got some good surf and wakeboarding in. Around 11 am the rest of us made it up to Deer Creek, which is up on the backside of Timpanogas above Sundance. I grew up skiing on this lake and it is one of my favorite places to go. We had a great time as a family and we were all addicted to wake surfing by the end of the day.
Brian catching a wave.

Notice the huge mountains in the background--this place is pretty close to heaven :)!
My little sister and her kids came up for the day and got to enjoy some bonding and boating time.
My little sister, Tiffany, and her baby, Ruby.


I rarely have any problem getting out of the water and I pick things up pretty fast, but I did have some pretty epic fail wipeouts when I tried to figure out how to ride the wave.

Tiffany has never waterskiied, wakeboarded or anything else behind a boat until now. She took about three or four times to get up and then she did great!
Oakley did really well wake surfing, but pretty much hated wakeboarding.
Brian got the little kids up by putting them in between his legs while he surfed. Giselle didn't like it, Florence seemed ambivalent, and Diamond screamed at the top of his lungs for the entire ride, "WoooooooHoooooo. I'm AWESOME!!!!"

Jon was probably the best wake surfer. He tore it up out there. It was impressive.
Wesley is hilarious. He just says the funniest things. He said something to the effect, "Is the water done with my dad yet?"

Alicia got all six feet of her legs up on that wake board and rocked it like a pro. She had so much fun, I think she dreamed about it all night because she was still planning her new moves the next day.

Gwynyth is a kick butt little athlete who when she sets her mind to something doesn't stop until she succeeds. She conquered wakeboarding no problem, but it took her longer to figure out the surfing, but she finally did. You go, girl!!

My super cute sisters-in-law, Alicia, left and Lindsay, right.

Even Grandma gave it her best shot. Not bad for being 60! Go, grandma!

Lindsay is a superb wakeboarder so she picked this up no problem. If she had another day to practice she would have been ready for the wake surfing olympics--or whatever it is they do for wakesurfing.
All in all, another fantastic day of family fun.

No comments:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required