The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Best Christmas Celebration Ever



"Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity."--Thoreau


That was the theme of Christmas this year in the Simons household and I think it might be the greatest idea to meet Christmas. I have found that the kids are equally happy with two or three presents as they are with six, seven, plus presents. Sometimes they hit overload and more is actually worse. This year their present was Disney World, so all they really had to open were a couple gifts from grandmas & aunts. The simplicity of the day allowed for us to really focus on the meaning of Christmas and spend more of our time as a family.


Christmas Eve lent the day to several family traditions as well as a new Simons' family pasttime--XBox 360 Rock Band. We rocked out for several hours and then decorated gingerbread houses. This year I wasn't feeling super ambitious so each of the children only got gingerbread house facades to decorate, but they loved it all the same. We had our traditional appetizer dinner, which has been a tradition in my family since I was around 7 or 8 years old. We then all gathered around the fire, sang Christmas carols and read the Christmas story in Luke. The really neat thing about having older children is being able to discuss deep doctrinal issues. We read the story and then asked the kids questions about Christ's impact on mankind and the importance of God's plan. My children all seemed very intuitive on the importance of these things. Because we had no Christmas Eve presents or parties to attend, we could really get the kids to focus on the greater meaning. It was really nice for the 15 minutes it lasted.

Christmas morning the kids let us sleep in until 8 am--how is that for a Christmas miracle??? We sat around the tree and opened the few presents we got one at a time. After a breakfast the kids played for awhile and then we had a marshmellow gun war. The guns and marshmellows were a gift from Aunt Amber & Uncle Steve. They were a huge, brilliant hit. We divided into two teams and played steal the Christmas wreath on the main floor of the house. I had this funny moment when I saw all of these children running in all directions and I couldn't believe how many kids there were--and that they were all mine. But, big families sure have a fabulous time when it comes to team warfare! After our war we had a family video party in our bedroom watching a blu-ray on Brian's plasma (welcome home gifts Brian bought himself last month) and eating lots of popcorn. Finally we finished off the night with a special seafood dinner.

I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful family and beautiful children. I am thankful for the true meaning of Christmas, because without it I wouldn't have all of this to show for myself. Christmas is the perfect way to remind ourselves of all of that.










1 comment:

Adam and Dani said...

I hope you don't mind, I am going to put the Thoreau quote on my blog. Simplify is my motto for the new year. Glad you guys had the best Christmas ever!

Where Much is Given, Much is Required