The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Homework, Back Injuries and Big Hypofisits

So as a brief update there really isn't a lot to tell. Life is beautiful and simple right now. We have two parents taking care of seven children--so much better ratios! Brian and I are loving our time together. We take off alone all the time for dates. The other night we fed the kids dinner and then went to Avatar together. By the time we got home all of the children were in bed asleep and they had cleaned the kitchen up for us. There are things about getting old that really aren't that bad, like your kids get older too.

Giselle has been cracking me up lately. She's right at that stage where she is trying out new words, but she doesn't quite get them right. For example, she came up to me and told me she had a really big "hypofisit" about dinosaurs. I said, a what? To which she said, "You know, a hypofisit. I think dinosaurs had long legs so they could "runs fasters." Oh, a hypothesis! Pretty good for a four year old. Last night we ate tacos and she went to town eating three times as much as she usually does. Afterward, whe was describing how much she ate and she said, "I put the taco in my mouth and I was "chumming, chumming, chumming" those tacos." I think she meant chomping, but it was too funny to correct.

I have been busy with homework for grad school in Marriage and Family Therapy. I love what I am learning. There is something beneficial about going to school as a (relatively) mature adult. I think you appreciate it more and have more life experience which forms a better frame of reference for learning new material. The problem is getting back into the swing of homework. There is so much reading and writing. I am trying to do a three credit class in 6 weeks, so I am working my can off. My goal is to finis 6 to 7 classes this year and next, then I have a year internship before I graduate. So even working my rear off, I have three years of school to get this done. It seems overwhelming at this stage, but I am just so excited to finally be able to go back to school, I don't mind much.

Last February I was choreographing a piece for some college students in Utah. One day when I was goofing off with my old ballet partner (back when I used to dance), I jumped on his back and he dropped me. I ended up breaking my tail bone (for the second time in my life) and I was miserable for about a month. When I moved the family to Tennessee, I did almost all the lifting with only one other person to help me at any given point. I knew I had strained my back, but I didn't know how bad, until now. It has continued to get worse over the last five months. I have numbness down my left leg and foot and constant pain in my back so that I can't sleep at night. Brian finally did some simple tests and determined (the best he can without doing an MRI) that when I was dropped on my tailbone last year, the impact injured a disc in my lower back. When I moved I reinjured it even worse and compressed a major nerve running out of my back into my leg. Right now I am teaching yoga at the church, hoping that will help a little. I am also taking Celebrex Brian got me. It is helping, but basically Brian told me that it may be years of pain management or resort to surgery. Neither option excites me. After my last surgery, I am definitely not signing up for another one! I think I am starting to feel old and that may be the most painful part!!!

Other than that, things are pretty calm around here. I think Brian is hoping for orders to go to Haiti to help, but I don't think that will happen. They did try to send him to Louisiana for a month, but we got of it in the 11th hour, thank goodness. We were told to call back about Korea in February and Brian's assignment manager will write up a request for him to go that has to be signed by a general since Brian hasn't lived here two years. It sounds like it will be a long, stressful process and we won't know for sure if we're going until the last minute. We have been there and done that before. It will all work out, I just won't know how for awhile.

No comments:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required