The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Seeing the Sights in Daegu

Mom and Dad's trip was fairly short--only 5 days, so I had to pack in as much fun as I possibly could in a very short amount of time. Here are a few of the highlights of the things we did in Daegu:Seomun Shijong (that's the Korean word for traditional market). I've put up lots of pictures of this place over the year we've been here. It is crazy, coloful and full of intrigue. Mom and Dad loved it. They would have wandered around for hours, but I had other things to show them!
























Right next to Camp Walker is a giant golden Buddha in the sky. I was told that if we went there we could tour the monestary, the temple and the roof gardens. It was extraordinary. I studied Buddhism in college in my world religions class, but this taught me more in an hour than I have ever known about it. There was one room where the monks had to meditated in coffins in a dark cabinet and then find their way out of the coffin and through a little rat-type maze into Nirvana (or a room full of Buddha statues). The experience was fascinating.














The last day we took Grandma and Grandpa to Herb Hillz EcoAdventure which is a zipline course through the tops of the trees up on Apsan mountain range. I don't think my kids understood the significance of my dad doing this. Never in my lifetime has my father done something of this adventurous caliber. He is his nervous mother's son and he seemed a little unsettled as he climbed up the 40 foot rope ladder to the first platform up in the trees. But he did it and we were all super proud of him. My mom loved every minute and could be heard giggling through the trees--but she's where I got my crazy, adventurous spirit, so that's not surprising.




This was hilarious. "Sopaman?" Here's my guess as to how this "lost in translation" moment occured. Korean language does not have vowel controlled Rs--so if they are tranlsating an English cognate such as Super Market, in Korean it would be read "Supa mahket." So I think that someone has first translated "Superman" into Korean alphabet which would have read "Supaman," then someone took that and tried to translate it back into English and ended up with "Sopaman." But for our intents and purposes, it almost read "Sophiaman!" Sophia is either going to save the world or destroy it--this was a good moment to push her in the right direction!




Here's my favorite display in the park: the raging tiger chasing picnicking children to their gory death. I often wonder if Korean mothers/teachers walk by with the small children, point the statues out and say, "Children, let this be a lesson to you why you should always recycle your garbage."




Autumn in Daegu.




Gearing up for the monkey adventure.














Giselle and Florence were far too small to go on the giant course, so they got to go on a smaller course for children. I didn't do it with them, so it was completely up to them to work the double carribeaner system and hook their zipline attachments onto the wires. They were amazing. There was one part that they had to hook into a zipline while standing on the ledge of a platform about 20ish feet up in the trees. I was down on the ground and couldn't help them. Florence started having an panic attack. She kept crying and saying, "Something's wrong with my heart." There was nothing I could do for her except talk her through it. Eventually, she stopped panicking long enough to get her zipline off her belt and attached to the wire. After that she was really proud of herself and did the whole course again.



















Diamond is really afraid of heights, but Sophia is fearless. He did not want Sophia to be the only one that did the course, so he went despite his fears. When he got down, my mom said, "Diamond you were really brave up there." He replied, "It wasn't me, it was the Spirit." I guess that he had spent the whole time praying for help and he felt that the Spirit gave him strength to keep going. I thought that so sweet.




No comments:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required