Brian and I have always had an incredible marriage. We have this silly joke that we should never compare our marriage to other people's because it makes others feel badly. We love being together. This past two weeks Brian and I were rarely even out of the same room. At one point, Brian even told Oakley that he would love to help him with his homework as long as he could stay near enough to kiss me when he needed to (which was very often :). Not once did we get sick of each other or argue. We laughed and we talked and cooked together and went on long walks together. At one point in the deployment, one of my sisters-in-law said, "This deployment will be good for your marriage because you'll be able to talk to so much." I laughed. Brian and I talk all day every day about everything, whether he's deployed or not. We prefer being with each other to any other option.
This is wonderful for our marriage, but it did initially pose a problem with the deployment. We didn't know how to have a marriage when we weren't together and didn't have a traditional marriage. I know it's hard on everyone in our position. In fact, the divorce rate for families going through deployment is astronomical. It is so hard. It was really hard for us because we had never been independent of each other. Neither of us really had any friends and we really aren't the type to hang out with buddies. We were pathetic the first few months, just trying to find ways to distract ourselves from our loneliness and depression. And when we turned to each other to discuss our feelings, it actually perpetuated the frustration and sadness. There came a point where we both had to let go of each other to a certain degree, just to survive. I think it is the same when you lose someone close to you. The missing and aching is so painful that your choice is to let go of that person or become emotionally incapacitated. I remembered all of the memories of being with Brian, but after awhile I began to forget what it FELT like to be physically close to him. I had to to ease the pain and keep moving forward. I wish that I could explain it better than to say that I had a marriage in theory, but not in tangibility. If you have never experienced this, it is likely you will not understand. I hope for your sake you never have to.
There is a cheesy-make-you-want-to-gag saying: After the rain comes the rainbow, that I hate to use, but is so applicable here. We suffered through nine months of hell and various storms, but when he came home, the the rainbow was brighter than it's ever been. We fell in love all over again, deeper and stronger than ever.
I couldn't have married a better man than Brian Simons.
While Brian was here we went out together as often as possible. One night we decided to go to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville together. I love to experience life to its fullest. We have been to the iditarod in
When we arrived, Brian said, "I think we could be the youngest people in the crowd." Well, when the show started, we figured out why. The majority of the performers were in their 70's and 80's. One old feller, Little Jimmy Pickens,
4 comments:
I'm glad I looked at this after everyone was in bed (I have Stephanie's girls sleeping over) because I shed lots of tears. It is just so beautiful and amazing and so many emotions. Beautiful pictures of beautiful people which touched my heart.
Love you
Nancy
I am so tempted to be jealous of the disgustingly sweet, romantic, lovey-doveyness you two are experiencing. Most of us don't get an opportunity to fall in love all over again with our husbands. But. . .I still think I'll take taking each other for granted in the same hemisphere as opposed to your alternative. :)
I needed this post. Chris comes home in 2 days and I'm worried about the stupid things that irritated me before he left. Leaving clothes laying around, dumb things like that. I need to get over all of that and just be happy that I have a man in my life whom I love and adore.
Thanks for allowing me to still be part of your blog!
WOW that was incredibly sappy!!! Loved it though.
Post a Comment