The Simons Family
Sunday, February 20, 2011
Konglish
I know I am a huge dork. I love Far Side cartoons, Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy, The Onion News Source and anything else that is random, ironic or sarcastic. Maybe that's why I get such a kick out of Korean stationary stores. The English is sometimes a little off and the translation comes across so ridiculously, that I can't help but giggle. But sometimes the translation is correct, the topic is just especially cheesy. Koreans love to talk about love and friendship and sweetness. The whole society is so innocent. I like it, but my cynical personality prefers to mock it more than embrace it. I guess you can take the girl out of America, but you can't take America out of the girl.
This one makes me laugh for several reasons, but my biggest question is WHY do you need antibacterial paper? I guess it's nice because you can lick it, or eat it, or just stick it up your nose and not have to worry about getting sick. I love that kind of versatility with my notebooks.
I'm not exactly sure what the last line of this means, but it sounds like there are a lot of serious implications here.
Isn't it fantastic that you don't actually have to ingest Vitamin C for good health, just conjure up thoughts of it? Anorexics all over the world are going to be so excited about this!
Ummm. . . What?
If this isn't true, I just don't know what is!
I pulled up to a stoplight a few weeks ago and noticed a bright yellow van next to me. On the side it read: All Natural Snail Secretions. First I laughed, then I asked myself, "Who is selling the synthetic snail secretions? I bet they're way cheaper." The picture on the notebook reminded me of that van, plus I had to giggle at the fact that this little dude has man boobs. What's up with that? This notebook has the Korean character named Dalki (which is Korean for Strawberry) that is supposed to be really cute for little kids. But on the back of the notebook is a picture of cute little Dalki letting a big one rip that sends her shooting across the ground while she calls out, "I'm a hot potato!" Only in Korea would this be considered adorable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Where Much is Given, Much is Required
No comments:
Post a Comment