The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Disclaimer

Once again I want to reiterate to my dear, sweet readers, who I adore: this is my journal. When I am struggling with issues, when I have been deeply contemplating a matter, when I am hurt and trying to sort through things. . . I write. Writing is my solace. I am a very candid person and I allow people to see into my soul. Most people don't feel comfortable with that because it is risky in relationships with others. I take that risk because I feel that it is the only way to truly connect with people.

I have been studying social constructionism lately and it has given me much insight into interrelational contexts and how we construct our own version of truth out of the discourses we receive from others. Ultimately, while I believe there is a great, higher truth out there, no one can fully conceive of it because we are all trapped inside of our unique perspectives and no two people can ever perceive that higher truth the same. Thus, reality is constructed individually through attatching meaning to our interactions with others. The meaning that I attach to a certain interaction is going to be different than the meaning that another person attaches to the exact same interaction. In short, it's amazing more people aren't murdered by friends and relatives :)!

Of course I'm being facetious, but the truth is that you can't accuse someone else of being "wrong" in their interpretations, because reality is what they perceive and what they feel. Consequently, I felt very hurt by some various interactions over the last several years with my family. It recently culminated with me spending an hour crying and then writing a blog entry about my perceptions. My perceptions are neither right nor wrong, they are merely the metaphor for how I view family relations. So people, please know that you have no right to be offended by me any more than I have a right to be offended by your perceptions of reality. Relational truth is relative. . . meaning derived by relatives is relative. Got it?

That's all I have to say about that. . . :)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Relatively, I agree with you 100%.
I would like to say on this blog to all Jessica's friends and relatives that I adore Jessica and her children. All kids are hard for an old lady like me sometimes. Even my own children drove me crazy sometimes. Jessica's children are not any harder than any of our other 18 grandchildren. I am sorry for making any of our family feel otherwise. I will try to do better. Don't give up on us old folks.

Where Much is Given, Much is Required