The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Friday, October 3, 2008

The Story About My Book

Back in March I met an amazing woman named Dawn Miller who inspired me to write a book. I know, I know, I'm the craziest person you've ever met, and you're wondering how on earth I found time to write between having seven children, homeschooling them, and then moving by myself to Utah with all the kids. Yes, I admit it, I need medication for this condition of being a near psychotic over-achiever--but really the idea did not come of my own fancy and the words for the book did not come entirely from my own intellect. I felt very inspired and very guided as I did this. The book is entitled, "Finding Strength Beyond My Own: Changing our Lives Through Christlike Service." I gathered stories of people, like Dawn, who have experienced trials in life and have worked through them by reaching out to others. The book includes many of my own experiences such as the adoption, and my struggle with eating disorders in college, and how volunteering and serving has made a huge difference in my life. However, it was hearing all of the amazing stories of quiet heroes around the country that really impacted my life and influenced this manuscript.

I began writing in the beginning of April after researching for a month, and completed the rough draft in June--two weeks before I had to pack my entire house and move us to Utah. My mother and father (Brent and Wendy Top, both very accomplished authors) edited it for me and helped me to format the manuscript. This past Wednesday I met with a representative (Jana Erickson) for Deseret Book to introduce the book and submit my manuscript. Jana was delightful and incredibly kind and supportive. She seemed interested in the book, but was very honest with me that it always comes down to the business aspect as to whether the book will sell or not. This is completely understandable--you can't stay in business if you can't make money. Therein lies the problem for me. I am a no name, first time author that will not attract many buyers. My only hope is being able to ride on the coattails of my father and hope that my maiden name my attract some interest.

Jana was very encouraging and suggested that I go out there and start speaking about my book and start a website about it. Being the tenacious, ambitious person that I am, I was ready to run out the door that second to get started. . . until I realized it's not that easy for me. Many people do not want to have you speak unless you're published--which definitely puts me between a rock and a hard place. It is also a little tacky to show up to the stake president's office and ask that he let you hold a fireside so you can speak to everyone. Usually, the people that do that have some strange agenda to which you don't want to give a forum. I also just don't know how much my Dad wants me swinging around on the back of his coattails. I just don't feel right about pressing him on that. It's not entirely fair to him. And last but not least, I am the single (for at least a year) mother of 7 children. They always come first--that has been my policy since October 10th, 1996, the day my oldest child entered my life. My career takes a back seat to my job as mother. This means that I have to make sacrifices. However, it also means that blessings will come to me when I need them most. Right now, I could really use a truck load!

I know that the Lord inspired me to write this book. I do not question that. I don't know how it will all play out, but I know I did what I was asked to do. I also know that if I continue to do what is asked of me, everything will fall into place in ways I can't yet conceive. The scriptures promise, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you." Sacrifices, in reality are never sacrifices, because in the end you always get back more than you gave. I will not know anything about my manuscript being accepted or denied for about four months. In the meantime, I wait, I trust, and I follow the spirit. . . and I blog! I can at least start using my blog to share about my book and hope that perhaps people will be inspired and pass the information along to others. You know--get my name out there! Gotta love cyberspace!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'll buy your book!!! Hey! I wanted to tell you that I had so much fun talking with you a couple of weeks ago. Thanks also for that kind, uplifting message you sent to me. You are awesome! I hope you have good news to share in 4 months. Swen was asking me the other day if I had checked in with you to see how things are going. What is the best form of communication for you? E-mail, facebook, or the good, old-fashioned telephone? I hope all is well for you and your chickies.

Raquel said...

Jessica,
I have a close friend that may beable to help you promote your book, or rather anything that you are trying to accomplish.
Charyce is an amazing person, and is so very talented in may ways. I don't know what you need but check her out, who knows where it will lead.
Raquel

here are her sites.
http://www.daydreamsbydesign.com/

Where Much is Given, Much is Required