The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Friday, October 24, 2008

Our Autumn Adventures


So it seems that I have somehow tempted fate and natural gas is now out to destroy me. Why natural gas you ask? Well, let me just say, I, too, am wondering what I have done to offend the god of natural gas. Last Wednesday, my sister-in-law planned a getaway for all the cousins to go up to Mutual Dell--a church owned lodge up the canyon. As I was loading all of the sleeping bags and backpacks into the van, I noticed a rather distinct natural gas odor emanating from the front of the house. I decided to investigate. As I rounded the corner of the house, I heard Diamond scream, "Mommy, help!" There standing in front of the gas meter was a terrified little African boy and Sophia holding a monkey wrench. I'm not sure what possessed her to do it, but she decided to take apart the central gas meter of the house. The most horrendous smell met me halfway and about knocked me over. The I heard a loud whooshing noise made by the natural gas streaming from the pipes. I seriously thought the house was going to blow up. I grabbed the wrench out of Sophia's hand and had to use all my strenght to realign the pipes and tighten down the nut. I tried to yell at Sophia for nearly blowing up the house and possibly the neighborhood, but I have to admit I was in shock. What five year old decides to take apart gas meters? Is this something that may require a psychological eval? Or should I just feel proud of her ingenuity and buy her a set of tools and an old engine block for Christmas?

Later that evening, as we were holding a cousin dance party in the lodge, my sisters-in-law and I noticed the strong odor of natural gas filling the air. It was so strong that my throat started to sting. We found one of the knobs on the gas stove turned on just enough to let out the gas, but not yet to the point of ignition. (I have a sneaking suspicion it was my nephew, Wesley, who has a strange affinity to randomly turning knobs. He turned on every faucet in the lodge at least 20 times. He's a cutie, though!) The smell was overpowering and probably a little dangerous, so we opened all the windows in the lodge. It was soooo cold! Right before bed, I thought I closed all the windows, but didn't find out until after a miserable night's sleep that I had left one open. While we didn't die of carbon monoxide poisoning, we just about died of hypothermia. Besides that little adventure, we all had a really great time.


We returned to Mutal Dell the following Monday for a big Simons family home evening. We played soccer, tag and kickball, and I took thirteen of the cousins on a hike by myself. It was supposed to be a nature hike, but I'm pretty sure the wildlife fled in sheer terror with thirteen children under the age of 12 running and screaming through the mountains. It was really fun. There was also a ropes course that the children attempted. The kids had a fabulous time with their cousins. It was a great way to spend their fall vacation from school. I never had cousins to play with, so I'm glad my kids are able to have these kinds of experiences with their cousins.

1 comment:

Lauriann said...

Glad you're out having adventures.

And I'm sad I won't be seeing you this week. I even had some old High School photos to give out. It's kind of funny to look back and see how many photos i have of you and Brian together. And we had no idea back then you'd get married.

Where Much is Given, Much is Required