I neglected to wish four of my beautiful children Happy Birthday--so I'm taking a minute to dote on my beautiful birthday children. We have four out of seven children who celebrate their birthdays between Sept. 28 and Oct. 10--we call it the Simons family birthday season. Gwynyth turned nine on September 28. I have a tradition of taking each of the children out alone for a little shopping spree for their birthdays. They love the freedom to spend, but also love the time alone with mom--it happens so rarely! Brian left on her birthday, so that was a little hard for her. However, she is having her birthday party this weekend and chose to have a little luau with her friends. Gwynyth is a doll and I am so thankful to have her in my family. She is my most dedicated, honest, self-motivated child--not to mention she's beautiful and charming!
Giselle turned three on October 3. I can't believe my last child is three. No more babies for me--which is a huge relief, but also sort of sad since babies inevitably grow up. We had the Garretts, Rowleys, and Rileys over for a barbeque and made it into a little party for Giselle. It was really fun. I know they were more my friends than Giselle's, but you have to enjoy it while they're too young to care! Plus, there were 16 other kids to entertain her. I call that a legitimate party no matter whose friends they are! Giselle is my sweet baby and always will be. She is so funny and has been given the gift of gab. I'm not sure or not if it's a gift to me, but she does provide constant entertainment.
Florence had her first birthday in America on October 9th. She turned seven years old. When I took her on her little shopping spree, she never ceased in hugging me, kissing me, and thanking me. She was thrilled to have her own special day. They had let her wear a birthday crown at school, and she was so excited to be recognized that she was filled sheer delight and gratitude. That is pretty unique in a seven year old. Florence has been blessed with an amazing spirit. She is the most resilient child I have ever known. She has suffered more than I will probably ever know, but she is the most loving child ever. Her teacher told me that lately she has been crying for me at school because she misses me. I can't even explain how sweet that is to me. It means that she has bonded to me--something that can take years when adopting an older child--and she really sees me as her mother and her protector. Maybe I'm not such a bad mom afterall :)!
Oakley turned 12 on October 10th. I took the kids to the Mayan restaurant to celebrate his and Florence's birthdays. Yes, I am always a spectacle taking seven children by myself to dinner, but as always, they were perfectly behaved. Diamond loved the cliff divers and decided this is his new ambition in life. Oakley was supposed to be ordained to a deacon in the church on that Sunday, but Brian was told by his commander that he couldn't leave Alabama. Oakley was disappointed, but decided to wait and do it when his dad comes back for a couple days in November. We had a Halloween bash birthday party for Oakley last Friday and it was a terrible disappointment as well. We had purchased all kinds of fun stuff and decorated the house and made pizzas. One of his cousins backed out, and then none of his friends from school showed up. My best friend Julie's oldest son was the only boy that came. Luckily, Oakley loves Hayden and can hang out and have a great time with him. However, two of his girl cousins came and add that to his two sisters, the boys were outnumbered and constantly harrassed. Oakley had fun, but was so disappointed in the turn out--or lack thereof. He was so sad that it made me cry. Oakley is an amazing child. He has strength of character beyond that of a normal 12 year old. I feel really lucky to be his mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment