My little Diamond boy has been twinkling like a star lately! We had a couple rough months where I really questioned my ability to raise him. He was having tantrums that rivaled the fury of a cat 5 hurricane. He would fly off the handle at just about anything and it would go on forever. I just didn't know what to do. I lost it several times and had to hide under the covers in my bedroom and pray for patience. Then, on Sunday, June 22nd it all changed. I'm not sure I can fully attribute it to the events of that day, but I'm going to anyway. For those of you that aren't LDS, just so you are with me, we give newborn babies a special blessing where they are given their new name and blessed with special attributes and given guidance for their lives. I felt really strongly that I wanted this done for Diamond and Florence, even though they weren't infants. They, too, had been given new names and brought into a new family. Brian, the missionaries, and serveral of the men in our ward stood in while Brian blessed them. Brian is really nervous praying and speaking in front of the crowds, but he did a beautiful job. Diamond was so shy that after his blessing he ran back to the pew and crouched down so no one would see him. Florence looked so beautiful and tiny in Brian's arms as he carried her up to the front of the congregation. They were both adorable and very excited (and bewildered) by the blessings. The adoption and all of the citizenship paperwork is complete, so now, along with the records on the church, Diamond is officially Diamond Brian Simons (he chose his own middle name), and Florence is officially Florence Naomi Simons. We are so blessed to have them in our family. And, the most miraculous part is that since that blessing, Diamond has not had even one fit. We have gone from several a day to none. He has now started giving me much more affection and telling me how much he loves me. He is doing so well, it must have been a miracle in that blessing!

Because he has been so good, we decided to have his birthday party early (actually because we will be in transition when his birthday comes and it was just easier to do it before all the craziness ensued). He was delighted and loved every minute of it. Once again, we only had the missionaries over because they're really the only friends
we have here and Diamond loves them. Brian got Diamond a giant dump truck and a Cars blanket. During the party, the kids were squirting water guns. Water got on the dump truck and Diamond cried, "It's not funny, never do that!" He laid his body over the truck to protect it and then proceed to use his shirt to dry and polish the truck. When he came home from the park, he
went straight to his room and perfectly laid out is blanket on his bed. He ran in to me and said, "Mommy, you have to come see this, IT'S AWESOME!" (Awesome and "Disdusting" are his two favorite words.)
So Happy 5th Birthday Diamond! (Actual date is July 22, but I'll probably forget to write anything on that day!) We love you! 

5 comments:
Happy Birthday Diamond! Looking grat buddy!
that is such a miracle! It's the little things the tender mercies that our Father in Heaven gives us. Can't wait to see you!
The kids look wonderful! I'll keep your family in my prayers as you prepare for some big changes in your family as Brian is deployed. If anyone can handle it, you can!
Jess,
What a great story and what a great transition for Diamond. He looks so different from when we were in Liberia - so much more grown up!
Sharon
That is beautiful about the blessing.
We too, just recently blessed Jack, and before it, I had contemplated the significance of why we do this in our church and didn't find much in browsing the topic online.
And not knowing I was thinking about this, my dad came to me with his thoughts on why we bless babies. He said the blessing is important for these kids, because it gives them extra help from the Holy Ghost that will lead and direct them until they are baptized and then receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Yes all are born with the Light of Christ to help them choose right and wrong, but a baby blessing gives them extra spiritual help.
I loved that thought, and of course it makes sense that Heavenly Father would do all he could to help these little ones too.
Post a Comment