The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Our Wish List

Right now we are at that point the comes around so often in our life--we once again are waiting on orders to let us know where we will be moving this summer. I have been so stressed lately almost to the point of a break down. I am not usually one to be overcome by fear, but I have been bordering on fear paralysis as of late. I am so scared where I will be stationed when Brian goes to Iraq and how it will all work out. I know, "Oh me, of little faith." But if I am overwhelmed with seven children and two parents, what's going to happen if I am far from home in a place I can stand and can't get home to my mommy:), and am all by myself with seven kids? I know I'll make it, whatever God requires of me. But, there is one thing that I have learned about God, and that is that he may not try you more than you can bear, but he will push you to your absolute limits! So anyway, I am working on my faith, but all the "what ifs" are feeling kind of heavy right now.

Yesterday, we got a hold of the woman in charge of duty assignments for the physician assistants. She gave us a list of several places and told us to list our top three. Brian and I argued and argued about where we wanted to be. I gave into his ordering of them, he gave into two places I wanted to add, even though they were long shots! We actually stuck an extra one in, just to make me feel better. Here they are in order (Brian's order):
1-Ft. Carson, Colorado Springs, CO
2-Ft. Lewis, Tacoma, WA
3-Ft. Shafter, Honolulu, HI
4-Vicenza, Italy

My order is: Italy, Hawaii, Colorado, then Washington. There are a lot of pros and cons for each place, but truthfully there isn't much chance in you know where that we will get HI, or Italy, but you can't blame me for trying, right? It must also be said that the Army is infamous for giving you places you never even mentioned on any wish list--usually they are places that were listed on your "If we get sent there, I will contemplate jumping off a cliff" list. I dare not speak the names of any of the places on that list for fear that it may be my famous last words!

Anyway, now the list is in and "supposedly" we will get orders by the end of May (that's another place where the Army is renowned at screwing soldiers--giving out orders three weeks before they're supposed to leave). In the meantime, we pray for miracles. It comes down to that a lot in my life!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,

I'd be a basket case - you amaze me with your willingness and ability to deal with all of this uncertainty! I hope that you're close (CO), but if I were in your shoes, Italy would be top on my list too!

Sharon

Valerie said...

Jess,

So, I guess OK was not in the top three oh well, I will still keep hoping! :)

Just kidding I hope you get one of your top three as I know it will be a trying time and you need to be where you are comfortable.

Nodler-Morris Zoo said...

You are my hero! Hang in there. I miss you!!

Rebecca said...

Brian & Jessica,

It sounds like you've got your hands full (serious understatement)! I just got an email back from Brian & thought I'd leave a comment.

What an absolutely wonderful family you have! It's perfect...the Simon Seven! You've got some exciting times ahead. The Lord will certainly bless you as it looks like he has already. Talk to you soon. Swen

Where Much is Given, Much is Required