The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Thursday, May 8, 2008

God Must Have a Sense of Humor


Five years ago this month, we were also awaiting orders--to our first duty station after Brian commissioned as an officer. We received orders to Japan. We were so excited, we jumped up and down, screamed, cried, did the "we're going to Japan" dance, etc. The Army told us we had to either sell most of our stuff or put it in storage. We were so excited at the prospect of going to Japan that we figured we would part with our stuff and just buy new stuff when we returned. I sold my nice washer and dryer and lots of beautiful antiques. It was worth it to me to get to go overseas--especially to Okinawa, Japan. A couple months later our orders were unexpectedly changed to Fairbanks, AK. I cried and couldn't believe the cruel joke the Army had played on us. Not only did my dream of going overseas die, but I had sold all of my posssions and was now moving to Frozen Hell, AK. So, over the years I have made peace with my loss and I thought I had made it through the mourning process--until today. My brother is joining the Navy as an LDS Chaplain next Friday. Today his branch manager (detailer) called with his RFO--or in layman's terms told him where the military was sending him and his family. Well, wouldn't you know it, he's going to Okinawa, Japan. Seriously, does God have a sense of humor or what? The irony is almost too much! I am sad at my loss, but I am soooooo happy for my little brother and his family. It will be an adventure of a lifetime, and if nothing else, I can go visit at least to see what I missed out on. Congrats, Justin & Katie! I love you, and I will be mooching off your hospitality sometime in the next three years.

(Picture at top: Justin and I at age 2 &3, picture above: Jessica, Justin, Janey and Tiffany at Justin's wedding.)

Above: engagement and wedding photos, Jessica & Brian, Katie & Justin, and Tiffany & Mike

Below: The whole family at Janey & Don's wedding Fall 2006

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I love the photo of you in the little bucket- how cute!

Lindsay said...

That is so cool that he is going to Japan. I have always wanted to go there. My Mom and sister have been there once and my dad has been several times. The people there are very nice. Let us know when you get your call.

Mason said...

It was nice talking to you the other night. Best of luck on the book, I am sure you will do an outstanding job. Let us know when you get your orders.

Where Much is Given, Much is Required