This link was sent to me by my friends, Corks, in Statesboro, GA. Dana's brother teaches International Relations and has met the three young men who made this video. It is phenomenal and effectively makes the viewer question their own abilities and responsibilities to reach across the globe to ease the suffering of another. It is not easy to watch, in fact, I wept--which was really distressing to my children. My older children asked to watch the video. I hesitated at first because it is very heavy and uncomfortable. But, upon further contemplation, realized that this was a door to open the discussion of what we can do and what we need to do. Where much is given, much is required. We are still talking and I hope that this affects us enough that this is a discussion that continues for our lives and hopefully opens more doors. I hope it will do the same for all of you who watch this. It takes some time to watch, but it is important to watch.
This is the story of my children. It may be a different country and different people, but the story is sadly the same all over Africa and the children are suffering immensely. My children don't remember much of the war, but they did suffer from the after effects, including living in an IDP camp, starving, no clean water, excruciating poverty, and ultimately a family that had no choice but to give them up. There are thousands of stories similiar to the ones of my children and the ones on the video. Watching this video made thankful that my children are safe here in my home and it also made think, "What more can I do?" Please pass this on and ask yourselves the same question:)!
Here is the link, if doesn't work right at first try a few times. I will also post the links for YouTube (it's in 6 parts), just in case. Some people have had troubles getting it to come up. Keep trying, it is well worth it!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3166797753930210643&q=invisible+children&total=1953&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qds5MQCqWnk
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viEMFvP4kPM
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ped11Culq0
Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnqAdV40QTE
Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai9FK35XPBA
Part 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJnYcHWx6H4
You can also visit www.invisiblechildren.com
1 comment:
Jessica,
You already know my reaction to this video. Thanks again for sharing!
Valerie
Post a Comment