The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Monday, March 3, 2008

The Adoption Club

One of the coolest things about adopting is meeting some truly inspirational people that have also adopted. It's like this club of amazing people whose adoption stories send chills down your spine as you stand in awe. I feel like I am on the bottom wrung of amazing in this club and I am just honored to be able to rub shoulders with people of this caliber. Really, I hear their stories and I think, "Wow, I need to do more. I need to be better!" I guess this holds true for all people have overcome adversity, who have listened to divine guidance, or people that have opened their hearts to others and made a difference. But as I have been privileged to meet other adopting families, I have been especially humbled--maybe because it personally resonates in my life!

Last Sunday was ward conference and the stake presidency spoke in our ward. Afterwards, I began speaking with the second counselor in the stake presidency and found out that his family had adopted a special needs daughter from China just about a year ago. He later called and invited us to their home for dinner. We were really excited to get to know them better, but even more excited because we have no friends. People don't line up to invite you over when you have seven kids. Actually, people hardly know what to say to us, let a lone want to socialize with us. So we were thrilled.

We spent Saturday afternoon and evening with them at their incredible home. The kids thought they had died and gone to heaven. Diamond was really upset with me when we had to leave and has asked to go back every ten minutes since. They had a hot tub and a tire swing and a playground and a trampoline and a dock on a pond where the kids got to fish for the first time. But the greatest of all was the snow cone machine. Who knew that such a simple thing would impact my children's lives so greatly. It was like when Diamond and Florence were introduced to hot baths--there is no going back, life just won't be the same without it. Okay, I am being facetious, but, seriously, my kids ate about 15 a piece and are still talking about it with great fervor. It's times like this I ask myself why I spend so much on fancy Christmas presents when a single snow cone machine would have changed their lives and saved me hundreds:)!

I get so lost in my labyrinth of tangents! I really did have a point to my story. There were a few really neat things that happened that night. First, was to get to know this family and their adorable children, including the daughter from China. It was so neat to hear their stories and about the experiences they had adopting and visiting China. They really are a great family and they were especially gracious to put up with us and our crazy brood that trashed their house (which I still feel horribly about). Second, I got to meet the wife's parents--who had also adopted. Her story was incredible times 5! She had three biological children and adopted 5 other children of all races from all over the world. I got to see the family picture and it was tremendous to see the diversity and the unity at the same time. If only the rest of the world could learn from them! Third, I got to meet two of the sisters of this beautiful family. One sister in particular really inspired me. She had suffered two tragic losses of her children, but was so kind and sweet and happy. I feel so amazed when I meet people who have dealt with adversity like that and have overcome and have continued on making a difference in other people's lives. Lastly, as we were speaking, we discovered that one of the wife's cousins is a very good friend of mine that I had lost touch with in the last four years. I was thrilled to be able to get her contact information. She, too, has suffered a huge loss in her life, but has shown strength that very few people could match. She has always been an inspiration to me and I am so thrilled to be able to get back in touch with her.

In short, I felt very privileged to get to know this family. They are spiritual giants and I am amazed by their strength and grace. It was a great time. I kept them up way too late talking and my children trashed their house, but they were incredibly hospitable nonetheless. I hope I can eventually pay back their kindness.

No comments:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required