The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Monday, August 22, 2011

My Sweet Teenage Girls

I really thought that as my children got older I would miss the baby stage, when our children are so innocent and cuddly. But, in fact, I have come to realize that I do not miss that stage at all and am loving motherhood even more now that I have teenagers. I have been blessed with beautiful, well-behaved children. And, as I came to fully realize this past weekend, gracious, compassionate children who know how to make a difference in others' lives. I don't think that there is anything more that I could ask for as a mother.



Currently we have a friend of mine living with us. She is the director for Club Beyond, the teenage religious organization out of the Post chapel. She planned a special service project to Love and Hope Orphanage for youth of all denominations to come together and serve. I didn't think that my girls would want to go since they don't attend Club Beyond--but when Cadena invited them, they were so excited at the prospect of serving that they went even though they really didn't know any of the other kids.



Cadena told me that when they arrived at the orphange, my girls were the first ones in there hugging, kissing, massaging, holding and/or playing with the special needs children and babies. She told me that my girls showed an outpouring of love even to the children who were especially deformed or withdrawn--children that the other teenagers were much more nervous to approach.



When I heard this and I saw these pictures Cadena took, I couldn't help but cry. If there is anything I want to teach my children in this life--it is to see people the way Christ sees them; and the only way to be able to do that is by being willing to serve them without judgment or reservation.



I was amazed that my girls didn't have to be prompted or reminded, but were naturally filled with compassion and eagerness to help. I am so proud of my girls. This was one of those moments that makes all the pains of motherhood worth it. . . plus some.














































1 comment:

riles said...

Love it! Beautiful inside and out just like their mama!!
Love you all!!

Where Much is Given, Much is Required