The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Just another day in Korea. . .

Things have been going great lately. I have had some wonderful experiences with my work as a Marriage and Family Therapist. I got called to be seminary teacher for the teenagers in my branch to teach the Old Testament--so excited about that! Which means I got released from working in the primary--even more excited about that! I passed my marriage and sex therapy class with a 100%, which has got to say something for my skills--whatever skills you want to chalk that up to :). And I planned an awesome vacation to Thailand and Cambodia for our Christmas gift to our family. Life is good.






Other than that brief update, I thought I would record some of my memorable Facebook moments and some of my favorite entertainment in Korea. . . Engrish Stationaly.


Most of the time I cannot figure out why the Koreans decide to write the random English sayings that they do on notebooks. With all the people that speak English here, doesn't someone tell them, "This doesn't make any sense." I have all kinds of funny thoughts come into my mind when I read these random, nonsensical "words of wisdom." Like this one:




Yeah, that's what she said! No wonder women have to turn to chocolate so often. . . at least Korean women anyway. . .






I think that Koreans pick the most random words out of the dictionary that even native English speakers have never once used in a sentence--like the word afflatus. When Brian read this, he started laughing because "a flatus" is medical terminology for "a fart." If you read the above statement with that in mind, it is especially funny.






Nothing like Konglish love poetry that makes no sense 'cause.




So true.




Everyone loves parties with light fantastic toes, right? Okay, maybe only the weirdos with foot fetishes. . . but at least they can have their parties, too.

Two facebook posts to make you laugh:

At the pool yesterday, I suddenly heard incessant whistle blowing. The Army lifeguards are notorious for being sticklers for rules and blowing whistles at every small offense. So, I turned around expecting to see one of my kids in trouble, when I found that Sophia had snuck a whistle into the pool and was blowing it, pointing at the lifeguards. You should have seen their faces. . .

Never a dull moment with Sophia: Yesterday Sophia informed me, "Mom, they're having a talent show at summer camp this week and I signed up to do a pole dance." So this morning I had to reassure the camp director that I do not have a pole installed in the home and Sophia does not actually know how to pole dance. . . that I know of. . .

No comments:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required