The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Army Christmas Ball

This was the first time I have dressed up in a fancy gown, had my hair done, fancy make up and worn jewelry since my wedding day. It was fun to feel beautiful for an evening. My children were delighted and thought Brian and I looked like a prince and a princess.
Speaking of my prince, when I realized I was running very late to get my hair curled and my makeup done and my gown on, I had to ask him to help me with my hair. My adorable husband came and braided the front of my hair and curled the back for me while I did my make up. When we got to the ball, I told my friend (the one in silver below) about it and she said, "Oh, my gosh, how did you get so lucky to get him?--and on your first marriage even!"

I really loved my dress. I printed off a picture of a gown and a bolero jacket and took it to "Chong's Making Dress." The lady was so cute. She did a great job tailoring it exactly to my body and even sewed on the beaded applique I got at the open air market for $4 along with the jewelry you see for $12.
Brian and CPT Doreema both got their suits tailor made at a shop right out the gate of Camp Walker. The tailor actually made a suit for President Kimball twenty years ago when he came to dedicate the Seoul temple. He was very excited to tell us that when he found out we were Mormons from Utah. The young Korean men below are what are called KATUSAs. They are Korean soldiers who speak good English (and probably have rich fathers), so they were accepted to serve along side US soldiers. They are all very impressive young men.

The best part of the night was the entertainment. We were dying of laughter on this one. It was three gorgeous, skinny Korean girls in slinky clothes playing instruments and dancing around at the same time. I have never seen a person play the flute one handed until now. (Isn't playing a flute one handed just like blowing a whistle?) I told Brian that this may trump the cheerleaders in a contest of what activity women can participate in to marginalize their value as women. Okay, I know I'm a feminist--but really why do women allow themselves to be sex objects to show off their talents.


This video is of some of the KATUSA's who had put together their own boy band. Boy bands are huge here in Korea. Plus, all the children are incredibly talented because they go to what are called hogwans every day after school to train in a specific talent. Some of the children are playing Chopin and Mozart on their instruments by the 4th grade. My children feel a little overwhelmed by the vast number of child prodigies that surround them. My older children are just barely starting learn the hymns on the piano.

1 comment:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required