The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Our New Apartment in Daegu, Korea

Brian loaded these last night for the kids and I to see our new apartment in Daegu. We are very excited that something in this whole ordeal has gone right. Now, if only the kids and I could get over there to live in this great apartment!! I know everyone wants updates, but really there is very little to tell besides, obviously, I'm still stuck in Utah as our paperwork still sits on some Army general's desk waiting for one last signature. Of course, there was a typhoon and a four day weekend that we had to endure and then a backlog of other more important issues because the universe must delight in our torture. And so our maddening wait continues. We cannot get an answer one way or the other, so we hesitate to buy tickets on our own. It would be ridiculously stupid of us to do so and then have them turn around a week later and give us command sponsorship, because they won't reimburse us.
We came very close to flying out on our own dime last week. We had the tickets reserved and our bags were packed and at the last minute the Battalion Commander finally returned Brian's calls and asked him to hold out a little longer because he felt that it would work out for us. As it turned out, the apartment we were going to get was swept out from under us by a higher bidder and the hotels were over $300/night. So not having anywhere to stay was also a deterrent. The next Monday (Labor Day), a friend gave Brian the name of his old realtor from a year earlier. Brian gave the guy a call and wouldn't you know it, the guy had a 6 bedroom, 3 bath, 2700 sq. ft. apartment a mile from the Army camp where the kids will eventually go to school. The apartment is on the 6th floor, has no oven or built in dishwasher (we'll remedy that) and is a half a block from a large Korean market. This was a huge answer to our prayers because it is no small thing to find an apartment that size in Korea. In fact, it's almost unheard of, unless you get a miracle. Thank goodness for that, right? We can't wait to see it in person. . .someday.
Totally unrelated, I did some calculations the other day and realized that Brian and I have been married fifteen years and we are entering our 28th month of being separated over the course of that time--and the truth is, we don't have it nearly as bad as many of our military friends. You know, I think that every married couple should have to spend three months away from each other to fully understand those who do have to do it. Maybe misery does love company, but more than that I just think that it gives you insight into previous generations and people who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. Even more impacting than that, I think the separation brings marriages to a higher level of appreciation. This is in part due to the circumstances surrounding being part, but I think it also gives distinct personal strength and maturity that ultimately betters relationships. (Although, I will say for some marriages that are on their way out, it may be the nail in the coffin--but that just goes to show whay kind of relationship it was :).
I feel blessed to learn the lessons I have, but that doesn't mean I'm signing up for it again anytime soon (haha-like I actually get a choice, right?).






3 comments:

janeytop said...

Who is that talking? It sounds like Justing.

Lindsay said...

I have been thinking about you the last week or so. I am glad for the up date. I hope you will be with brain soon. The appartment should be great for your family. Well only if you get a stove and dishwasher. :)

TulipGirl said...

6 bedroom, 3 bath, 2700 sq. ft. apartment? Wow! How wonderful! So glad to see things starting to come together. . .

Where Much is Given, Much is Required