The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Long Awaited Update

So much to tell, so little time! I have been beyond busy since moving to Lindon and have not had time to update the adventures of the Simons family. Because of that, I'm sure this will leave many details out, but it's better than nothing!
We left Georgia on July 31, travelling across Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, and into Oklahoma. In Oklahoma, we were able to spend a day and a half with all of the MUAA kids that were in the orphanage with Diamond and Florence. It was really interesting to see how well they have adapted to American life. I know it has been quite a struggle with bonding, behavioral issues, health issues, etc., but it all seemed worth it when these little Africans came back together. They were noticeably happier, shinier, more expressive children than they were in the AFAA house. They have all been through more in their little lifetimes than any of us have been, but it is amazing what good food, clean water, effective healthcare, and a little love and stability will do for a person. They were all happy, and it doesn't get much better than that




After leaving OK, we dropped Brian off at the airport in Witchita, KS so he could fly back to GA to finish up his residency. I drove the last 1200 miles alone with the seven kids. Let's just say that by the time I crossed the Rocky Mountains I was ready to throw myself in front of a bus!


The next couple weeks were incredibly stressful. I have moved thirteen times, but never without Brian. It was very overwhelming, but my parents and my in-laws were life savers. They came in and took the kids and my dad and brothers-in-law helped me move all the heavy furniture. Then they put together all of the beds and our dining room tables (yes, we have two because we have so many kids, we have two put together). My sisters-in-law came and took the kids to Thanksgiving Point. Everyone was thrilled to meet Diamond and Florence. They fit into the family like they have always been here--it was truly amazing. We did encounter one problem, and that was a little crush that developed between Addy and Diamond. I think we're going to have to watch out for the "kissing cousins" thing!
I have learned some valuable skills having to do things on my own. I am learning to juggle a lot more balls--granted I seem to be dropping a lot more lately--but I am getting better at getting everyone's needs met and doing repair work and taking the car into get an oil change all by myself. I hooked up the washer and dryer and ice maker by myself. I put together the desks and the hammock by myself and moved all the furniture into place by myself. If I wasn't tough before now, I definitely will be by the time Brian gets back from Afghanistan next year.
The kids started school and love it. I am relieved not to be homeschooling this year. It was really getting to be too much with little kids and big kids, and they were always distracting each other. The schools in Utah are so much better than anything we've encountered in the past. Granted, we've lived in some pretty ghetto towns thanks to the military--but the school they are going to is really, really good. The kids love it, they love their teachers, they love their principle, and they love their new friends. They love homework and art and music. Coming home to Utah has been a great blessing for us. Even though Brian is going to be gone for quite some time, and that is hard on us--we are absolutely in the most optimal circumstances all things considering!

4 comments:

The Googeg's said...

What an amazing summer. You are a brave woman doing it alone for a year. You sound very capable and I am glad you have family around.

Debbie

Raquel said...

Jessica.
Your blog has been a very interesting and inspiring read.
Thanks for sharing your family expirences. You are a busy momma, and to top it off you are homeschooling!
I am so glad your husband is coming home for a short stay, and to lighten your load for a bit.
What an eventful and full life.
Raquel

Alicia Atwater said...

We are all happy to have your family so close...even it is only for a little while. The kids cherish the time they get to spend with their cousins. Let us know if you need any help...or even just a break. We are not too far away!

Alicia Atwater said...

We are all excited to have your family so close...even if it is only for a little while. My kids cherish the time they get to spend with their cousins. Let us know if you need any help...or even just a break. We don't live too far away.

Where Much is Given, Much is Required