The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Kumamoto, Japan--Day 2

After visiting the Atomic Museum we caught our street car named Desire and headed to Kumamoto for the next part of our adventure.



I took this picture on a crowded streetcar because I thought it was hilarious that Brian was so much taller than everyone on the train. In fact, he was so tall that the hanging advertisements hit him in the head while we traveled.



On the train from Nagasaki to Kumamoto we grabbed some Japanese fast food. Brian ate a Japanese sandwich, which is basically shrimp filling inside a rice roll. I have no idea what I ate, but it wasn't bad.



We arrived in Kumamoto and walked to our hotel where we checked into a room on the 20th floor. The above was our view of the city.






We gladly dropped our ruck sacks and headed on foot up to visit Kumamoto Castle which was built in the late 1400s. We had a great time learning about Japanese history and exploring the castle and grounds.


































After storming the castle, we had the best time heading to the downtown shopping district. We found the restaurant below. We thought the name was some hilarious mistranslation. Plus, we were so excited to find Thai food, we couldn't resist going in to try it out. . . and man, were we glad we did!!







The food was awesome, especially the deep-flied spring rolls!




No comments:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required