The Simons Family

The Simons Family

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween


So my life is so stressful right now because Brian and I are being faced with some major decisions about my career as a MFT and his career and where we should live. Just when we feel like we finally have an answer to all of it, we hit a brick wall. This week we hit two major ones again. I will explain later. In the meantime I am just going to absolutely enjoy my time in Korea.


Halloween was fun. I made the kids wear their Hapkido/Gumdo uniforms and I bought little traditional Korean masks for 1000 won (about $0.90) each. They looked so stinking cute. They went trick-or-treating on Camp Walker. They didn't make the usual American haul of candy (but no complaints on my end), but they still had a great time. The older kids went to a haunted house put on by the single soldiers on post. It was freaky--or so I was told, I wouldn't go in it. One soldier reached up to grab Chloe's ankle and got his hand caught in her dress and ripped a giant hole in it. Chloe said she heard, "Oh, crap, I'm so sorry ma'am" come from the ghostly hollows of the floor.


We invited our Korean teacher's daughter to join us for trick-or-treating, which she had never done before. It was interesting being on the other side of a cultural experience. In America, we all just take our "normalcy" for granted, but here we had this strange tradition that others find intriguing. She was pretty thrilled with the concept of getting free candy just for saying, "trick-or-treat." However, she did NOT like the scary aspects of the costumes and decor. Come to think of it, that really is sort of a weird American thrill. Why DO we think scary, demonic blood and gore is cool?

No comments:

Where Much is Given, Much is Required