I have a sister-in-law that hates me and won't come around when I'm around. I don't dislike her at all, and I'm not quite sure what I have done to offend her. One evening I was discussing this issue with another sister-in-law who said, "You just have such a way of intimidating people and making them feel insecure." I found this statement incredibly ironic. Obviously, those who are intimidated by me have NO idea what is going on in my head, or they very well would change their mind. As I thought about this, I thought maybe that is true with all of us. We think something about a person based on what we see on the outside, and I would bet that most of the time our assumptions fall far short of the truth. We are all vulnerable and we all have burdens that we carry. Some burdens are placed upon our shoulders by circumstance or by the poor decisions of others. However, many more are placed on our shoulders by our own unrealistic expectations of how we think we should be--specifically in comparison to others.
I can imagine how I can come across to people. I am raising seven children by myself this year, I wrote a book, I'm going for my master's, I'm a yoga/ballet instructor, yada yada. . . but that's not the essence of who I am. Those are the things I do to try to find out who I am supposed to be. When Brian first left for training last September I felt that I was divided in half. I didn't know who I was anymore. I'm still struggling to find out. But in this time when I am required to stand on my own, I have very readily identified my weaknesses and now I have to find out how to make them my strengths. I am in the midst of this process, so I don't have any answers to give. Most days I feel like I am drowning, hoping just to come up for a single breath. The thought of swimming seems impossible.
Because I am already standing here, exposed for all to see, I figure I might as well come clean and confess the real me. I know that being overly forthright puts a lot of people on edge, but what I want more than anything is for people to stop hating each other or misjudging each other, and realize we all struggle with something. So here a few of my confessions--things that I have really been struggling with over the last few months and am hoping one day I to conquer:
I am an overachiever. This is not a good thing. By the world's standards it looks like I am very accomplished and successful. In truth, I am running from something--most likely myself--trying to prove that I am worth something afterall.
I am the crankiest mother that has ever walked the planet. My children are going to need years of counseling because of me. I yell--no, let's rephrase that--I spit fire like a dragon (especially during PMS week), at all innocent bystanders (children) in my home. I wish I had patience, but God skipped me when he was handing out that virtue, so I guess I just have to learn it the hard way--by failing miserably most days, but trying again and again to improve.
I really struggle with myself. There are days when I hate everything about me, I hate my nose, I hate the body parts that have moved south, my hair sucks, if only I were taller, if only I didn't have wrinkles. I hate it. I just want to know what it takes to be satisfied with your looks? It's a ridiculous bottomless pit. Or maybe more like the whack-a-mole game at Chuckie Cheese's. Every time you conquer one problem, another pops up. Whiten your teeth, get wrinkles, lose weight, pick up your boobs when you button your pants. I wish I didn't worry about it, but I do way more than I should. I don't know the answer.
I have goals and I pursue a lot of different things, but the truth is, I really don't know what my calling in life is supposed to be. Mother--definitely--and I know that I love that and I am good at that--but I feel there is more. Write books? Public speaking? Teaching? Ballet? I just can't seem to find myself. I pray for guidance, but it seems like I fail at more things than I succeed. I know people say that is part of success, but sometimes a lot of failures in one area means, go find something else to do. It's finding the right something else that is hard. I thought by my mid-thirties I might start having a clue about myself, but it seems like it sometimes get worse than better.
I guess that I should give a fair and balanced story here because I do know that I have strengths--things I really value in myself--which may not be the obvious ones that people notice right away.
I love people. I try more than anything not to judge people. Mother Theresa (my personal hero), said, "If you judge people, you don't have time to love them." The opposite is also true, if you really love people you don't have time to judge them. I love having close friends and getting to know people intimately. I don't let go of friends easily. I worry about them and think about them all the time. I would do anything for anyone because I know what it feels like to be in need.
I am willing to do whatever is asked of me. People will ask me why I had so many kids, which some days I wonder myself, but the answer is that that's what I felt God was asking of me. I am willing to follow my husband to the ends of the earth, if that's what is asked of me. I'm not saying I don't complain, because as you can tell by this post, I am the queen of complaining, but I always go and do.
I'm a survivor (isn't that a Beyonce song?) and I make it through the tough times. Maybe not always well or with grace and beauty. In fact, there are some days where I am beat down and bloody. I have nights when I put the kids to bed and fall to pieces. Then I climb into bed and know that in the morning I'll put the pieces back together just a little better and keep going. . .until the next break down.
Lastly, I have a great sense of humor. I know this is a topic of relativity, but I love to laugh. I have a morbid affinity for sarcasm, irony, and parody. But laughter solves a lot of my problems, so I am always trying to make my kids and others laugh.
So I feel like I just did some sort of emotional strip tease. I took it all off and now everyone knows that I'm not actually "amazing" or "wonder woman" but merely a vulnerable, yet resilient woman--just like every other woman I know!
8 comments:
I confess, I am a blog reader.
This post sounds like I could have written it. The nose, the saggy boobs, the impatientness with children...
I remember when I first met you, and you took the time to get some lunch with me. Panda Express maybe. I can't remember for sure. That really meant a lot, and has always stuck with me, how much you cared, right from the very start.
That's why I like reading your blog, because I know you are about people.
Thank you.
If it makes you feel better, this was my actual prayer to God today, "God please help me be a good mother and not a screaming lunatic today."
You have a lot going on. I don't think you give yourself enough credit. I think one day you will look back at this year and say, I have no idea how I did all that. For now, you deserve to be tired and maybe even a little cranky.
I have known about your flaws for years, but that doesn't keep me from thinking you're amazing. I admire your willingness to try things, to strive to "be more" and "do more." It may make you crazy sometimes, but at least you're not afraid to try. And in my experience, most people like you better when you show off your imperfections rather than always try to keep up your perfect, "amazing" facade. We are sooooooo different, even though we're sisters, but we love each other too much to judge each other anymore.
Keep on keepin' on!
Jessica,
I only have one child but I can so relate. I second Sue's post.
I figure I will introduce myself as one of those outside readers you don't know. I am a compulsive blog hopper - I love to read blogs about life. I came to your blog from a friend of a friend who had a link to your adoption story. I started reading and following your journey and just never stopped. I am a 26 year old newly-wed who grew up in Indiana and lives in NYC. I work in children's television and am currently stressed out about the job market and economy, and wonder how we will make ends meet. Then I read about how other people are doing it, in all walks of life, and remember that really it will be ok. Thanks for keeping your blog open. If you want my blog is http://kaseykakes.blogspot.com
Sorry, I'm one of those creepy people stalking your blog. I can't help. I'm sick.
It's those faults, though, that make people admire you. It makes us realize that it's ok that we're not perfect, because neither is anyone else. We all screw up and God knows I yell at my kids way too much.
Even with all your faults I still admire what you've taken on. It makes me want to be a better person and it also makes me realize that I don't give myself enough credit and that I can do and handle a lot more than I realize.
Thanks for keeping your blog open!
Jess,
You are doing a great job. You have great kids who love you. No mom or person is perfect.
Jess,
I love you- and am so glad you are my friend.
Keep the blog open- and you will find that your words will touch the heart of someone. I've managed to become friends with a girl in France struggling with infertility, all because of my openness on the blog.
I got your message from the funeral. Thanks for your love. I know death comes to us all, but I wasn't wanting or willing to feel the sorrow of losing my dad so suddenly. There was so much I wanted to learn from him. But I will be okay with time, as my testimony in Jesus Christ means more to me than it ever has before.
Post a Comment